Troubleshooting: Common Gate Problems
Several components contribute to a gate's function. To fix the problem, you need to first identify where the problem is located. If your keypad isn't lighting up, that is a hardware issue (not something that can be fixed in, say, the easy storage software). There are four places where an error can occur.
How it Works
1. First, you make a change in the Easy Storage Software—you create a new customer, change a gate code, lock someone out, etc.
2. The software sends a message to the ESS Gate Sync program on your computer. Think of this as a cord connecting your easy storage program with your gate program.
3. Your Gate Software on your computer takes that information and sends it via a built-in sync system to your gate.
4. Your Physical Gate, keypad and hardware, will then open or close according the information received from the gate software.
Important: Problems with stages 1 and 2 are things our support line can help you with since we created the programs. Stages 3 & 4 will probably require you contacting your gate software company (Doorking, Winsen, etc.) to resolve the issue. Click here for support numbers.
ESS GATE SYNC:
First, check that the gate sync is working (see the steps below). If the gate sync IS working, the problem is most likely in your gate program or the hardware (they keypad, etc.).
1. Hover over your Setup tab and select Gate.
2. Scroll to the bottom and select Show Details.
3. You should see Checked for Change line items every five minutes in your history. If you do, then the sync system is working correctly.
If, however, you see only Change Triggered and no "checked for change" in the line history, your sync program is NOT working.
Click here to see how to restart it.
UPDATE YOUR COMPUTER:
If your computer hasn't been updated in a while, the gate probably won't work. Restart the computer, and allow it to update.
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but if your computer is really outdated and has Windows XP, the gate sync program will NOT work on it. Windows no longer supports XP, so newer programs like ESS Gate Sync won't run on it. We recommend going to a pawn shop and getting a cheap computer with at least Windows 7.
DON'T TURN OFF YOUR COMPUTER:
For the gate sync software to run, you cannot have your computer turned off. Leave it on 24/7 (logging off your computer is fine, but sleeping the computer is NOT ok). If in doubt, just leave it up and running.
STARS AND POUNDS:
Many gate softwares require # or * when entering the code into the keypad. Just be sure NOT to enter the stars or pounds in the code section of the Easy Storage Solutions Software. This section should only be numbers.
If the keypad isn't lighting up when you input the gate code, there is a hardware issue.