How do new customers sign their rental agreement? How do existing customers sign the agreement/contract? How does the agreement work? How do I sign as an owner?
After you have entered your rental agreement into the software, it is available for both existing and new customers to sign. (See the second section below for instructions on sending the agreement to your existing customers.)
Note: There is not a way currently for you as an owner to also sign the agreement. In 2000, federal legislation passed the Electronic Signatures in Global and International Commerce Act (ESGICA). This act outlines what is needed for an electronic contract to be legally binding, including a "valid intent to sign" by both parties. Most states agree the facility owner is showing valid intent by providing the contract to the customer. However, Missouri recently made some changes to their state laws (as of September 2017) which may change electronic signature requirements. To be safe, you are always encouraged to check with a local lawyer.
How a New Online Renter Signs the Agreement
Note: A customer CANNOT complete an online rental without signing the agreement/contract. Also, there is not a way to clear the signature after it has been accepted by the customer.
1. The tenant goes to your website and clicks on your Rent Storage tab.
2. He then clicks Rent Now on both the main page and on the screen that pops up.
3. The tenant will be taken to a new screen where he can enter his personal information. At the bottom of this page is a link to your storage agreement along with a signature field for the customer to sign using his mouse or keypad.
4. Notice that if the tenant does not sign or click the "I have agreed" box, he is unable to complete the rental.
5. Once the customer has signed and agreed to the agreement, he is able to go on to the next page and finish renting a unit.
6. When you as a manager go to this customer's profile page and click on his agreement, you will see that his signature shows up in the bottom.
How an Existing Customer Signs the Agreement
Note: Existing customers can sign the agreement online when you provide them with a username and password. Follow the steps below.
1. Log in to your software and search the customer's name. Click on the customer who needs to sign the agreement.
2. You will be taken to the customer's profile page. Click the Edit Profile button (located in two places on the screen).
3. The second section on the page is where you create a username and password for your customer—perhaps her last name and 1234.
The software requires an email (since that is how the system tracks customer payments), so if you don't have one for the customer, feel free to create a fake email address. Click Update Customer Profile when you are done.
Make sure to save it!
4. The customer goes to your website's Make a Payment/Log In button to sign in, just like you do.
(Side Note: The customer can change her password by clicking the "Forgot Password" link. It will send a message to her email address where she can change the password.)
5. After signing in, the customer needs to click on the Agreement link on her page.
6. At the bottom of the agreement is a check box where the customer can "agree to terms and conditions" and another field where the customer can sign with her mouse.
7. Once the customer clicks Sign Agreement, you will be able to see the signature at the bottom of the agreement on your end as well.